Saturday, August 21, 2010

Offal :)

I had an interesting conversation with my boss yesterday about "comfort food".  He was relating a story to me about a patient who used to bring him homemade Pierogies (yum!).  We got to talking about "comfort foods" in general and I asked if he liked tripe, oxtail or tongue.  Not a fan of tripe he said that he had occasionally sampled tongue in sandwiches of the Jewish deli variety.  I said to him that my Mom cooked tripe all the time when we were growing up.  I tried to explain that I was a fan of "offal".  He thought I said, "awful"... LOL!!  I had to explain to him what "offal" was.  As Merriam Webster describes it:  "the viscera and trimmings of a butchered animal removed in the dressing".  So that encompasses tripe, liver, brains (which I've never sampled) and the like.  There is a Spanish restaurant here on Staten Island that serves tripe and oxtail that I plan on trying in the next few weeks. 

I'll let you know how that turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment